Friday, January 21, 2011

Jim Hooper

The following was posted as a comment. I'm not going to let it through. As such because it contained multiple links.  I don't need the search engines thinking I'm a link farm.  Also it was posted to the wrong review. I do feel that I have to address it though.  For those of you playing at home Jim Hooper is the author of  A Hundred Feet Over Hell: Flying With the Men of the 220th Recon Airplane Company Over I Corps and the DMZ, Vietnam 1968-1969.  Which I reviewed back on March 22, 2010.  Since the following was posted as a comment for public consumption I don't feel any obligation to keep it confidential.  This is the complete text minus links.  I've broken it up to make commenting on it easier for me. 

Interesting that of the 70+ reviews across a range of media, yours is the only one lacking a 5-star rating or that recommends it to readers
Actually I did recommend it.  "if you have an interest in an unusual facet of the Vietnam War give it a look."

But among those to whom you wouldn't recommend it are half-a-dozen female bloggers born after Vietnam and with no military or aviation background at all, who gave the story their highest marks, too. You really know who likes what. I'm impressed.

Cordially,
Jim Hooper
Guess what?  I'm here to give my personal review.  Take it or leave it.  They liked the book good for them.  I don't think less of them because they do.  I do think that a book on an obscure topic, artillery spotting discussing a certain geographical area within a conflict is going to be of limited outside interest.  For the casual reader of military history or the Vietnam war.

Instead of sniping at me [seriously that review was posted 10 months ago and now you're upset?] perhaps you would be better served by taking this opportunity to go write your next book.

No comments: