Monday, July 28, 2008

With Kitchener to Khartoum by G. W. Steevens

With Kitchener to Khartoum by G. W. Steevens is a journalists account of the British campaign in the Sudan in 1898. The entire thing is written in an irritatingly flowery style that doesn't seem to add much to the narrative. I assume journalists were expected to write like this. The primary sources written by participants that I had read about the campaign earlier did not contain the same sort of language.

If you've been following my blog you'll already know that I've read several secondary accounts of the campaign. I didn't really learn anything new from this book. Presumably some of the descriptions in the secondary sources originated here.

Not recommended for the casual reader this is for the completeist.

6 comments:

Harmless Ted said...

Have you read Churchill's account of this campaign, The River War?

jmnlman said...

It is next on the list. Sadly it looks like I'll have to use the abridged edition. The recent reprint of the original sold out way too fast.

Harmless Ted said...

That is sad. Churchill's style is much better than Steevens'. Do you know of any account of this conflict written by a Sudanese participent?

jmnlman said...

Well there's KARARI - The Sudanese Account of the Battle of Omdurmanby by Ismat Hasan Zulfo, translated from the Arabic by Peter Clark I have to buy a copy of it so I'm not sure if it's secondary or primary.

jmnlman said...

Looks like it is a secondary source but it should have some primary material in it.

Harmless Ted said...

Ok! Thanx for the info!