Monday, June 09, 2008

Last days of the Reich: the collapse of Nazi Germany, May 1945 by James Lucas

Last days of the Reich: the collapse of Nazi Germany, May 1945 by James Lucas I'm not really sure what to make of this. It is a history of the German civilians and military through the last month or two of the second world war in Europe. Some of the material here doesn't pass the smell test. Lucas freely admits to combining primary accounts into one for space concerns. Naturally this sets off a big red flag for me.

There is also comments he makes that make it sound like he is more interested in producing a history less about what actually did happen then what the German people thought happened. He says the Battle of Berlin was different than both how the Soviets and West Germans remember it but if he told the actual story he wouldn't be believed so he won't. Funny I kind of thought that bringing the facts out was the job of a historian. I also would have preferred more attempts to find collaborating evidence to some of the more wild claims. Apparently there was a lot of gang rape involving German refugee columns. I am well aware the Soviets committed atrocities but I don't think I've come across any accounts like this. I should also note this was published in the 1980s before the opening of Soviet archives.

Not recommended!

Is available through Abebooks.

No comments: