Thursday, January 10, 2008

Black Powder War by Naomi Novik

Black Powder War by Naomi Novik this is the third book in theTemeraire series. Think Napoleonic war with dragons. The storyline here is that our heroes must travel from China to Turkey to pick up some dragon eggs the British government has purchased then transport them back to England. On the second leg of the journey they join up with the Prussians. I almost think this could've been broken up into two books. The trip two Istanbul then the campaign with the Prussians. The storyline seems slightly weaker in this book. It's still very good but it didn't grab me as much as the others. It seemed rushed in places. Being somewhat of a Napoleonic fanatic I do have to congratulate Novik on her portrayal of the Prussian staff, "if it was good enough for Frederick the great it's good enough for us". We also see Napoleon in league with Temeraire's nemesis Lien. I know I'm giving somewhat of a lukewarm review its still better than most out there just not up to the high standards of the first two.

Recommended!

For more Science Fiction and Fantasy book reviews take a look at My Science Fiction and Fantasy bookshelf.

No comments: