Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson is the first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen epic fantasy series. This is the first book seven books in total have been published. It's projected to take 10 volumes.

The plot is very difficult to summarize. Basically an empire is expanding most of the activity in the book is based around a military unit sent to an independent city state. There's all sorts of political machinations going on. The magic system used in the book is very well thought out. I'm always slightly concerned about books that have a glossary and list of characters but I didn't have to worry. Enough distinctive traits are mentioned to keep the cast straight. The terminology is also pretty easy to pick up.

Highly recommended! I'm off to order the second book in the series.

Is available through Abebooks.



For more Science Fiction and Fantasy book reviews take a look at My Science Fiction and Fantasy bookshelf.

1 comment:

Eoin Purcell said...

One of my favourite authors. I love his style. Currently on book six or seven!
Eoin